Installing BrightSlide for Mac
Our BrightSlide add-in for Windows has a one-click installer application but things on a Mac are a little more challenging due to policies of Apple. We’ve created a DMG installer for BrightSlide and all you’ll need to do is run it and accept the various permission requests, which we explain below. If you’re comfortable trusting BrightCarbon and happy to grant these permissions, let’s get going!
version 22.214.171.124 build 01MAR2021 11:00
- Download and run the installer above, accepting the licence and granting the required permissions at each step.
- Accept the licence and then double click the Install BrightSlide icon:
- If PowerPoint is not running, it will start.
- After clicking Yes in the window below, there will be a short delay while permissions are requested and BrightSlide is downloaded and installed.
- You’ll see a confirmation message once the installer has finished:
macOS Security notes
Apple continues to change its approach to security, making the installation of non-Apple software increasingly more verbose and disruptive with each release of macOS. The BrightSlide installer is digitally signed with an official Apple-granted developer certificate and notarised by Apple. During the installation process you’ll be asked to grant permission for various automation actions. You can remove these permissions after the installer has finished if you wish. This is what each automation permission is doing and why the installer needs it:
This permission is required so that we can start PowerPoint, ask your permission to proceed and register BrightSlide with it so that it starts each time you run PowerPoint. Contrary to the Apple message, we do not access your documents and data.
This permission is required to discover where Microsoft Office is installed and to check if required files/folders already exist on your Mac. Contrary to the Apple message, we do not access your documents and data.
This permission is required to create the BrightSlide supporting script file in the designated folder used by PowerPoint. Contrary to the Apple message, we do not access your documents and data.
During installation, you can view the permissions as they are granted in System Preferences by opening the Security & Privacy app, clicking the Privacy tab and selecting Automation:
All automation permissions for the Install BrightSlide are then removed as the installer finishes since they are only required at installation time.
- In PowerPoint, click Tools / PowerPoint Add-Ins…
- Select the BrightSlide add-in and click the [-] button followed by the OK button
- Open Finder and click Go while holding the option key to access the user library
- Navigate to and delete this folder and it’s contents: (click Go while holding the option key to access the user library)
Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Add-Ins/BrightCarbon/BrightSlide
- Navigate to and delete this font file:
- Navigate to and delete this script file: